Wednesday, November 21, 2007

The Value of Perspective

I'm always hopeful that someday I'll start writing again. Really. I've only had writer's block for four years; I'm sure it'll go away soon enough. To that end, I'm beginning a new blog. If motherhood can't get me out of this slump, nothing can!

Also, I've been reading a lot of David Sedaris lately, and his writing allowed me to realize that many of the crazy life situations I've been dealing with the past twenty or so years are actually funny. Rather, I find them funny, and that's all it will take for me to enjoy writing about them. On the other hand, I may be the only one involved who finds them funny; many of the other paricipants in my life take my life very seriously, at least as it pertains to THEIR life. I really wish I could be like Mr. Sedaris and say "sorry friends and family, but that's what happens when you give birth to/are a sibling of/are friends with me," but I'm not sure if I'm there yet.

Is this going to require a private blog, then? We shall see.

My daughter, Olivia Irene Ganger, was born November 3, 2007. She's an extremely content little thing; she already sleeps through the night, and when she does awake, she's quiet and smiling, usually only wanting a quick snack before she settles back into sleep. Perceptive readers (who can also count) will notice that this is slightly unusual behavior for a child her age. I confess that I had expected a furious infant who howled through diaper changes, baths, quiet moments and loud ones, so I hadn't thought that I would have much free time. As it is, today I've socialized with friends, taken my dog for two walks, done two loads of laundry, spent a (better undisclosed) bit of time online, and talked with a few people on the phone. All this has been accomplished while my little one slept or cooed happily in her sling. Maybe this is just one of the benefits of wearing Olivia cradled against me rather than plopping her down in her crib for sleepy time, but however it's occuring, I'm grateful. With some of this unexpected free time (which will last until she starts wanting to crawl), I'm going to knit up a storm and blog a bit.

2 comments:

Brian LePort said...

Dan and myself have often found ourselves in conversations where we laugh about our childhood. I know that the three of us had different home lives, but we did share a similar religious experience. And as time goes by it is evolving from sad to funny. So I see your point there.

Please keep this blog public. I have kept mine public and God knows I talk a lot of crap and still get away with it. Personalities like ours often illicite a free pass on things like that.

I look forward to meeting Olivia. Life is insane. Not only are you and Ben parents, but also Roger and Kim. And then Ike told me this week that his wife is pregnant. And tonight my brother began talking about marrying his g/f sometime next year.

I feel really, really old now.

One final note: take a look at JephthahsTent.com. I put it together to help people through the struggles. If you are interested in contributing some (and I hope you are) let me know.

Michelle said...

Have you read Sedaris' Holidays on Ice? It's a collection of holiday short stories that I feel you would enjoy.